Help us Create the Pathways Action Map!
The NC Early Childhood Foundation (NCECF) is eager to continue the bold work of the NC Pathways to Grade-Level Reading Initiative (Pathways) with the development of the Pathways Action Map—a new online tool designed to drive Actions that support a whole child, birth-to-age-eight approach to grade-level reading in NC.
The Map will provide a snapshot of what’s happening in NC in over 40 prioritized Action areas. These Actions were identified by more than 100 North Carolinians using a collaborative process and racial equity lens. The Actions are described in the Pathways Action Framework and have been endorsed by nearly 100 organizations across the state. They are not the whole universe of what could be done to improve grade-level reading in NC. They are a start.
The goals of the Action Map are to:
- Inform key stakeholders about where NC stands in more than 40 prioritized Actions areas
- Drive policy making, funding, and advocacy by identifying gaps, opportunities, and areas of innovation
- Spotlight initiatives that center racial equity and community voice, especially efforts led by people of color
- Promote collaboration by engaging diverse people in creating and using the Map
- Complement the use of the Pathways Data Dashboard, which focuses on measures of success
Creating this Map is an ambitious task. But, like everything else we’ve done with Pathways, we believe we can do it together. The target audiences for the Map are policy makers, funders, and advocates—folks who can drive action in NC. Other groups (e.g., families, Initiative leaders) can also use the Map to learn more about whose leading work in these areas, connect with each other, and drive action in their communities.
NCECF is currently working with various groups and people across NC to add Initiatives to the Map.
The Action Map will include Initiatives that:
- Are taking place in North Carolina at the state or local level
- Are working to specifically address one or more of the prioritized Pathways Actions
- Provide evidence of impact or potential for future impact
- Identify a primary contact who can provide current information and future updates
The Map will particularly feature Initiatives that use a racial equity lens and incorporate community voice, especially the voices of families, providers, and other leaders of color. We want to lift up, learn from, and direct resources to these efforts.
The Map is not intended to include everything that is happening in these Action areas in NC (that would be impossible!) It does aim to spotlight key Initiatives that represent a broad range of innovative strategies implemented at the state and local level. Our advisors will help with this as needed.
Suggested Initiatives will be reviewed to determine if they meet the criteria stated above. We want to be as inclusive as possible. NCECF will not be evaluating the effectiveness of the mapped Initiatives but will leave it up to the user to assess the information and follow up with the Initiative contact to learn more.
The Action Map is meant to serve as a tool and starting place for awareness and action.
NCECF plans to release the Map in the summer of 2021. The information provided for each Initiative will be brief. We’re working hard to add as many Initiatives as we can before this summer. Initiatives will be added on an ongoing basis after that. We appreciate your support getting the word out to your networks, especially local grassroots Initiatives that are doing great work but often go unnoticed.
Steps for Adding Initiatives to the Map:
- Review the prioritized Actions in this one-page summary. For descriptions of each Action, click here.
- Consider what Initiatives you think should be mapped for these Actions. They may include Initiatives you are directly involved with or know about in your community.
- Add an Initiative to the Map in two ways: 1) Complete the Pathways Action Map Form, OR 2) email NCECF to schedule a phone conversation. Preview a list of the form questions here.
Please contact us with any questions or feedback.