As part of NCECF’s efforts to promote the importance of summer learning, we asked Chatham County Schools Superintendent Dr. Anthony Jackson to share his thoughts. Dr. Jackson reminds us that learning can happen anywhere, such as, at home, the library and in nature. Watch Dr. Jackson’s call for everyone to support our children’s learning, health and well-being, especially during school breaks and over the summer.
Summer program providers – camp counselors, librarians and educators – are essential to support parents with tips, tools and fun activities for their children and help ensure children don’t lose what they learned during the school year. If you’re working with children over the summer and during school breaks, NCECF has created tools to make it easy for you to communicate and engage parents.
Our 2023 Summer Learning Toolkit
Take a look and you’ll see that it includes:
- A slide presentation with talking points for program staff to learn about the importance of summer learning and how they can contribute,
- An Action Plan template for program providers to map out tactics to engage parents every week,
- Three newsletter posts,
- 24 social media posts with photos and graphics,
- Bonus social posts promoting supporting regular school attendance,
- 24 text messages,
- Suggestions for celebrating Summer Learning Week, and
- Summer Learning Week (July 10- 14) stickers
Download the Toolkit – use it and share it!
Communities can create a summer learning “buzz.”
- Host events for families. Get creative. Some of our NC Campaign for Grade-Level Reading communities have hosted splash pad celebrations where parents receive learning tips and tools; placed Little Libraries across their community; held food truck rodeos that include book giveaways and more!
- Ask your elected officials, such as County Commissioners, Board of Education or City/Town Council, and your school district superintendent to sign it and promote Summer Learning Week as schools get ready to end for the summer. Download the Summer Learning Week Proclamation for your team to customize for your community.
Summer learning matters. Everyone can be a summer learning Superhero, soaring for success in everyday learning. Our toolkit can help.
Keep in Touch with NCECF and Support Our Work
Please be sure to subscribe to our biweekly newsletter and consider making a donation today to start 2023 off strong by helping us transform the lives of North Carolina families, from their earliest days, while also supporting a small growing, family-friendly team.
The NC Early Childhood Foundation is driven by a bold – and achievable – vision: Each North Carolina child has a strong foundation for life-long health, education, and well-being supported by a comprehensive, equitable birth-to-eight ecosystem. We build understanding, lead collaboration, and advance policies to ensure each North Carolina child is on track for lifelong success by the end of third grade.