The NC Early Childhood Foundation is excited to continue the bold work of the NC Pathways to Grade-Level Reading Initiative (Pathways) with the development of the Pathways Action Map—a new online tool to help drive action in NC. Action that ensures every NC child, regardless of race, ethnicity, or socioeconomic status, is on the path to reading on grade level by the end of third grade.
The Map aims to do this by providing a snapshot of what’s happening in NC in over 40 prioritized Action areas included in the Pathways Action Framework. These Actions were identified by hundreds of North Carolinians involved in Pathways using a whole child birth-to-age-eight approach, collaborative process, and racial equity lens. They represent the areas that Pathways stakeholders identified NC should start working on first to move the needle on grade-level reading, particularly for children of color.
The goals of the Pathways Action Map are to:
- Inform key stakeholders about where NC stands in more than 40 prioritized Actions areas
- Drive policy making, funding, and advocacy by identifying gaps, opportunities, and areas of innovation
- Spotlight initiatives that center racial equity and community voice
- Promote collaboration by engaging diverse leaders in creating and using the Map
The Pathways Action Map will include Initiatives that:
- Are taking place in NC at the state or local level
- Are working to specifically address one or more of the prioritized Pathways Actions
- Provide evidence of impact or potential for future impact
- Identify a primary contact who can provide current information and future updates
NCECF is currently reaching out to various initiatives, organizations, and trailblazers across the state to help us create the Map. This includes providing feedback and helping us add state and local Initiatives to the Map that are actively working to address the prioritized Actions. We’re particularly interested in capturing local grassroots efforts that are leading in these areas.
NCECF is planning to release the Map in the summer of 2021. Initiatives will be reviewed and added to the Map on an ongoing basis. See answers to FAQs about the Pathways Action Map here.
If you’d like to be involved in adding your Initiative to the Map, or connecting us to innovators in your community, please contact us or complete the Pathways Action Map Form to share information. We’d love to hear from you!